March 22, 2015

Random Scandal Sheet for Sunday 3/22/15

What southern Florida is talking about this week:

How everybody is turning a hundred all around us!

And, by *everybody*, I'm not necessarily talking about all the seniors that make up the general public down here (although, if the AARP card fits) ... and I'm not necessarily implying that you could bump into Willard Scott making his centenarian announcements at any given moment (although I'm sure he finds most of his people to celebrate in this neck of the woods, I mean beaches) ...

Instead, the newly 100 that I'm referencing is actually nearby Miami Beach (their 100 hour celebration of their 100 years starts today) and Broward County (which has its own 100th anniversary coming up this October).  Seeing as how me and mine have only been here just over a year, we have but 1% of the local histories as a frame of reference ... but I will admit I was kind of surprised that it's so young, relatively speaking.  What with the state of Florida also laying claim to the oldest city in the nation (St. Augustine, 1565), a mere ten decades makes the environs seem like it's but a baby.

So here's to living in such a young vibrant place (surrounded by old listless people) ... Happy 100th!

THE MIAMI BEACH FESTIVITIES:
http://miamibeach100.com/

THE BROWARD COUNTY CELEBRATION PLAN:
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/fort-lauderdale/mcf-broward100-1008-20141008-story.html#page=1

CONTRASTED WITH THE OLDEST CITY IN THE COUNTRY:
http://staugustine.com/history/nations-oldest-city






No comments:

Post a Comment